Re: discover and hotplug must be able to co-exists (was Re: discover or alsa?)

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

I agree that hotplug and discover must be able to co-exist on a
system.  And I believe they mostly do, as I have both installed. :)

[A Mennucc]
Unless someone may go and rewrite xserver-xfree86 to suggest
'hotplug | discover', and use any of the two. (hotplug has a much
wider list of rdependencies than discover, so it may be installed
nonetheless).  (Ops I am becoming religious myself!)

How do I use hotplug to get the correct XFree86 driver for a given
video card?  I thought hotplug only did kernel modules.

ops. Since hotplug deals with PCI cards, I assumed that it would know of video cards as well; if this is not the case, then maybe the best way out would be that: mantainers of discover split discover in two, discover-X11 and discover (all the rest), whereas discover-X11 will be used by xserver-xfree86, but it will not touch anything else; and everybody will be happy ever after.

a.