Re: Frank Carmickle and Marco Paganini must die

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 11:57:54PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 01:52:54PM -0700, Adam McKenna wrote:
> > >
> > > How can you compare the features and usability of a webmail service to a
> > > modern MUA?
> >
> > There are many free or nominal cost mail services out there that will allow
> > you to download your mail with a POP or IMAP client.  My ISP offers such a
> > service for $60 per year.
>
> Throwing money at a problem doesn't make it go away.
>
> I personally think it's silly to say "I don't like SPAM, therefore I
> want you to jump through hoops to get your mail to me"; but I guess not
> everyone thinks that way...

I think it's reasonable to look at the signal to noise ratio of different IP
ranges and block the ones that are mostly noise.  Unfortunately, many dialup
networks offer over 99% noise, so it makes sense to block them.

My point is, if you are unlucky enough to be using one of these networks,
and your ISP is also too incompetent to run their mail server properly, you
have other options, such as outsourcing your e-mail to a third party (which
is quite affordable), or using a free service.

As far as 'jumping through hoops', setting up and properly maintaining your
own SMTP server is a pretty big 'hoop' for most people, even those who
consider themselves to be technically competent.

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>