Re: Frank Carmickle and Marco Paganini must die

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 05:00:43PM -0700, Adam McKenna wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 07:38:59PM -0400, Blu wrote:
> > Scenario 3:
> >
> > -    User emails me about something
> > -    My MTA, before accepting the message, calls back to the user's mx
> >      and stablishes an SMTP dialog to check if the user is able to
> >      receive mail from me (with envelope <> to avoid loops).
> > -    As the user's MX rejects any message from me, the original message
> >      from the user is rejected with a 550 saying something like "Your
> >      host is rejecting mail from us. This host will not accept mail that
> >      cannot be answered"
>
> Also, this setup is not practicable on a dynamic IP mail server because
> nobody will ever try to deliver mail to it (unless you're using some kind of
> wacko DDNS scheme).  Your mail has to come in through your ISP's mail server.

In fact that is the case. I am using a cheap dial up account with
dinamic IP and a "wacko DDNS scheme" to provide several services to
several communities for free. It works fine, and I have found that few
users know that their ISP's are blocking legitimate email arbitrarily. A
few sues have resulted from this little 550 error. Incidentally, the
callback scheme rejects mainly spam, which was not the intended propose,
but it's welcomed gift.

Blu.