Re: Frank Carmickle and Marco Paganini must die

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Adam McKenna wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 07:38:59PM -0400, Blu wrote:
> > Scenario 3:
> >
> > -    User emails me about something
> > -    My MTA, before accepting the message, calls back to the user's mx
> >      and stablishes an SMTP dialog to check if the user is able to
> >      receive mail from me (with envelope <> to avoid loops).

Which MX ? does it try them all, followed by the A record ?

> > -    As the user's MX rejects any message from me, the original message
> >      from the user is rejected with a 550 saying something like "Your
> >      host is rejecting mail from us. This host will not accept mail that
> >      cannot be answered"

What about temp failures ? Do you generate 4xx in that case ?

> Also, this setup is not practicable on a dynamic IP mail server because
> nobody will ever try to deliver mail to it (unless you're using some kind of
> wacko DDNS scheme).  Your mail has to come in through your ISP's mail server.

A side of life that apparently has eluded you (dynamic IPs)... Too bad,
it seems like you could use the balance.

It is trivial, and not at all 'wacko' to use one of the DDNS setups to
have a working mail setup on dialup/dynamic IP - I ran that way for
quite some time... the only drawback is akin to my current setup where
I don't have a proper RDNS (just gotta fork over the $ to get it done,
but so far, it hasn't been a top priority).

I ran my own mail on both mindspring(dialup) and bellsouth.net(dynamic
IP) without a hitch for years; eventually with the DNSBLs I had to go
partial smart_host (via mailertables).
--
Rick Nelson
* Espy ponders an uplad queue called 'hell' so I can do dupload --to hell