Re: Frank Carmickle and Marco Paganini must die

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:20:47 -0700, Adam McKenna <adam@flounder.net> said:

> On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 03:03:06AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> Bullshit. It is not part of my duties to wipe the butt of people
>> too incompetent to figure out a way of getting email.  I'll make a
>> reasonable effort (send them mail), and then move on to actually
>> working on helping Debian, rather than helping an piss-poor email
>> system.

> OK, so tell me what scenario you prefer.

> Scenario 1:
> - User e-mails you about something relating to your official duties.
> - You reply to the user from your dialup IP, and your message gets
>     bounced by his ISP

      The user has subscribed to a mail system that deletes legitimate
 email, and does not care for false positives. The user is getting
 substandard sevce, and ought to migrate to a less incompetent service.

	Nevertheless, the user has made himself hard to communicate
 with; and you want the rest of us to jump through hoops to make up
 for his error in judgement.  Seems like a waste of time to me.

> - Upon receipt of the bounce message, you take *20 seconds* to login
>     to a webmail site, cut and paste your e-mail, and include
>     something at the end like "by the way, I tried to send this mail
>     from my other account but it was blocked.  You should consider
>     using an ISP with a better filtering policy"

	Assuming I have a webmail site setup, and that I have
 integrated it into my mail setup, since people may reply there,
 assuming my selected provider is itself not under some filtering
 scheme (I know people [read: idiots] who filter out aol, hotmail, and
 yahoo out of hand).

> - User says "thanks, I'll look into that" and leaves with a good
>     impression.

> Scenario 2:
> - User e-mails you about something relating to your official duties.
> - You reply to the user from your dialup IP, and your message gets
>     bounced by his ISP

	Bounced meail gets relegated to a spool I rarely look at.
.
> - You think "fuck this braindead user", delete the message, and
>     forget about it.

> - User waits a week and sends another message.  You ignore it
>     because in your mind, you already answered him and he ignored
>     you

	Actually, no: I resend the message.
.
> - User waits another week and then complains to debian-devel about
>     being ignored.  You of course then have to respond to him,
>     bringing up your dynamic IP situation.  We then get to have a
>     repeat of this thread for the Xth time.

	I guess one should whip up a semi-automated LART for such
 people. This thread should provide adequate material.

	manoj
--
Cynic, n.: Experienced.