Re: Updating scanners and filters in Debian stable (3.1)

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 12:09:45AM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Bernhard R. Link <blink@informatik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
> > * Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> [040920 19:46]:
> >> Serving our users is more important than slavish adherance to leaving
> >> stable almost untouched.

> > And trying to give our users a system that will not suddenly stop
> > working is not serving them?

> I can't see how providing functionality that may possibly become reduced
> is worse than failing to provide that functionality in the first place.
> Appropriate warnings would be necessary, of course.

Warnings can only mitigate so much.  It's a frequent occurrence that
users will use, and then come to depend on, features for no better
reason than that they're available.  There are certainly cases where I
would argue that not shipping a package is therefore better than
shipping it with the expectation that it will soon be removed.

However, I don't think our principal web browser ever falls into this
category.  That would send an unequivocal message that Debian's stable
releases are not suitable for use as a desktop, under any circumstances.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer