Re: Use of automake & friends vs. just running configure

Scott James Remnant <scott@netsplit.com> writes:

> Except nobody can actually find an example of the good reason anymore,
> which leads me to suspect it's actually bogus.  Automake 1.6 through 1.9
> are largely interchangeable.  I personally keep 1.4 and 1.9 installed,
> and have no problems.

That may very well be the case.  Automake 1.9 does force an Autoconf
update over Automake 1.8, and Autoconf 2.59 is not *completely* compatible
with Autoconf 2.52 and thereabouts, but these are probably unusual enough
that not many people would be bitten by them.

I must admit that much of my leeriness about this is based on experiences
earlier in the 1.x series (1.3, 1.4, 1.5).

> AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([1.9]) or whatever minimum version you've tested it
> with.  The rebuild rules will notice you don't have that version, warn
> you that they can't update things, and carry on.

That's a good solution.  I didn't realize that they would both not update
anything and carry on.