Re: PROPOSAL to serialize cron.{daily,weekly,monthly}

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 17:34:21 -0500 Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 07-Sep-04, 17:21 (CDT), Carlos Sousa <csousa@tvtel.pt> wrote:
> > The only issue that appears to remain on this topic is, then,
> > that in the absence of anacron or other such agents, cron runs
> > the .xxxly batches without any concern for possible execution
> > overlaps between them (.weekly starting before .daily ends, for
> > instance). This could lead to parallell execution of conflicting
> > jobs, with unpredictable/wrong/disastrous results.
>
> Such disastrous results that there have been, umm, let's see, exactly 0
> bug reports about this in the last eight years.

OK.

> Look, I'm not denying that such could happen.

Well, that's the point I was trying to make. ;)

> But it's simply not that
> big a deal in real life. Unix is, after all, a multi-processing system.
> Even if you serialize the xxxly jobs, other stuff is going on in the
> system. If there are jobs/processes that can conflict, then they need to
> lock properly in-and-of-themselves, and not rely on other tools to do it
> for them.

Hey, I'm not going to lose any sleep over this issue, I've just been
contributing my data point to the hill of beans^W^W^W thread.

Cheers,

--
Carlos Sousa
http://vbc.dyndns.org/

"I find gnome is far too susceptible to not working" - J.D.H