Re: update-pam and update-nsswitch

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 11:15:13PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Sam Hartman]
> > That said, Debian policy forbids one package from touching another
> > package's configuration files without the permission of that other
> > package.

> I thought it forbid one packages _maintainer scripts_ from touching
> another package's conffiles.  Looking in the policy, I find this:

>   10.7.4 Sharing configuration files

>   Packages which specify the same file as a conffile must be tagged as
>   conflicting with each other. (This is an instance of the general
>   rule about not sharing files. Note that neither alternatives nor
>   diversions are likely to be appropriate in this case; in particular,
>   dpkg does not handle diverted conffiles well.)

> Is this the rule you are refering to?  It seem to allow one package to
> include scripts updating another packages conffiles as long as these
> scripts are not called from the maintainer scripts.

That's correct, but I think any design for ease of management of PAM
configs should have as a goal integration with the packaging system --
which obviously means cooperating with the maintainer of the package
which owns the config files that need to be touched.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer