Re: Incorrect use of "it's" in package control files -- file mass bug?

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 20:36:28 -0600, Marcelo E. Magallon
<mmagallo@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 10:40:38PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
>
>  > >  FYI, we call the people from USA "estadounidenses".  "Americano"
>  > >  and "norteamericano" are just the influence of TV.  Since those
>  > >  words are too long, the shorter word we use to refer to your folk
>  > >  is "gringo", and since we don't know better, we end up calling
>  > >  Canadians and some Europeans "Gringos", too.
>  >
>  > This may be what people in Chile say, but it isn't what I've ever
>  > heard in Mexico.
>
>  JFTR: I'm a citizen of Costa Rica, and I'm currently living there.
>
>  And like I said before, "americano" and "norteamericano" used to refer
>  to people from the USA is the influence of TV mostly.  Shows produced
>  in the USA use the word "american", which when translated becomes
>  "americano".  Historically mexicans have called the people of the USA
>  "americanos", that's right, and that's more usual if you are talking
>  about people in the north of Mexico.

I lived in Mexico 52 years ago before the influence of TV was that
common and referring to citizens of the USA (not sure about Canada) as
nortemericanos was already common then.

Paul Scott