Re: The unofficial buildd effort and its shutdown - my POV

Ingo Juergensmann wrote:

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 11:40:20AM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:

Erm, running buildds and building doesn't make sense when you can't upload
the packages afterwards. If people shout that they don't like our uploads,
there's no need to explicitly tell us to stop the buildds.
I don't think every DD has the authority to ask such a thing and expect it to be acted upon. Shouldn't a specific request from a Debian Leader (whatever their title may be) be required before anything is shut down?

No. Why should it?
You are basing your actions on supposed requests from DDs to shut down your buildds. That's why the distinction matters. If people are questioning your motives, actions or intents, the best thing to do is allow others vouch for you.

IOW, you are giving authority to the DDs who complained instead of telling them "this is the way things are now, come up with a proposal that fixes everything and we'll take a look at it after the release".

But an official request by the DPL to turn them on again would help and
clarify the situation.
Congratulations, you have successfully created a situation when there need not have been one.

You will always have complaining about security, tell them to put up or shut up and be done with it, not stopping a working system.

Mike