Re: The unofficial buildd effort and its shutdown - my POV

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 02:50:27AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> > for example the security concern of James Troup in using a many
> > times published user/pass on the web for accessing the deb repositry
> > on newraff for the buildds and sharing the user/pass for another
> > buildd because Mr Troup was too lazy/loaded with work again to give
> > such a user/pass for weeks!  Where's the security concern in
> > *downloading* things? With a password you can read in many failed
> > build logs on buildd.d.o? Come on! Get real!  (Note: sharing those
> > login data between buildds was a long time used method back then,
> > until Troup decided from one day to another that this is evil[TM]! -
> > without prior notification of course)
> 	I consider your conduct in the incident in question to be
>  incorrect, and a matter of concern.  You were asked, politely, to
>  stop sharing the passwords, and your response was a refusal to do so;
>  calling security concerns of the buildd admins silly is not a great
>  way of getting people to trust your buildds.

For you once again:
I never said that I'm object against that new security policy, but before I
agree to it formally, I wanted to have an agreement on future communication
with James to avoid exectly this kinds of misunderstandings.
Once again, your wrong interpretation of your second hand knowledge doesn't
make the history to change.

> > trust me and appreciate my work on buildds or not.  If you do trust
> > me, please tell me so and end the discussion.  If you don't, please
> > tell me so and take on with your discussions.  End of story. :)
> 	Asking on -devel is going to get you largely noise; ask the
>  people who run the official buiuldd's about it.

Oh, contraire... i still run an official buildd in some degree... and now?

> 	If you have that thin a skin, you probably won't last long in
>  a free software project. Just look at how people treat aj and elmo.

*LOL*

--
Ciao...              //
      Ingo         \X/