Re: Please stop the flamewar madeness.

On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 03:58:05PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > There are people on the project I hardly know and who do very
> > important parts of the project. On the other hand there are people
> > (no names) who just talk and do nothing but have a fancy @debian.org
> > address. If you knew me you'd know how much time I invest into the
> > project.
>
> 	You know, I think part of the problem is people who think of
>  Debian as a status game. Who the heck cares what other people think
>  of your stature, as long as you are getting to hack the OS into a
>  shape that is useful to you?  All this concentration on Blah just
>  talks and only has a fancy address -- bleargh. Why is an email
>  address fancy? The person behind the email is far more important than
>  a handle to direct smtp traffic their way.
>
> 	People who care about the email address are so childishly
>  jejune that their utterances ought to go straight to the bit bucket.

Sheesh, such people actually exist? An email address is like a
telephone number. It is a contact path. You are not your telephone
number, and nor does it represent you in any particular way other than
being a contact path.

> > I knew you were primarily talking to me. And I doubt a lot that you
> > would dare talk to me like that in person. I'd be disappointed if
> > you did.
>
> 	Hell, I talk on the list exactly the same as I would in
>  person. I am not so insecure that I need develop a secondary persona
>  in email.  If you wish, I'll give you a personal demonstration at the
>  next conference we happen to go to.

I can think of few things quite so rude as people who act differently
in public, in private, or whenever they think somebody in particular
isn't listening. It's a variation of the quite repulsive principle
that appearences matter more than actions - "It doesn't matter what I
say about them, so long as they don't know about it".

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |