RFH: compiling java with kaffe/jikes/ant

 I have an up-to-date Sarge with kaffe, jikes and ant installed, and
wants to configure a program which has a javac test in it's configure
script. The test basically is this java file:
import java.sql.*;
public class OX_COMPILE_CHECK {
 public static void main (String args[]) {
   try {
        Connection con =
"openexchange", "xxx");
        System.exit (0);
   } catch(Exception e) { System.exit(1); }

The ant project file is:
<project name="OX_COMPILE_CHECK" default="compile">
 <target name="compile">
  <javac srcdir="." includes="OX_COMPILE_CHECK.java">

When I set JAVA_HOME to the SUN's J2SDK 1.4, then ant succeds (it is not
in the PATH/CLASSPATH otherwise). However when I set JAVA_HOME to /usr,
so it uses kaffe/jikes, it fails with this message:
Unable to find a javac compiler; com.sun.tools.javac.Main is not on the classpath.
Perhaps JAVA_HOME does not point to the JDK

Additionaly during configure I get:
Unable to locate tools.jar. Expected to find it in /usr/lib/kaffe/pthreads/lib/tools.jar

May it be a packaging problem? Kaffe in Woody contains tools.jar, but
not the one is in Sarge/Sid; and I was unable to find any note why it is
missing by now.

What should I do?
Thanks in advance for any help,