Re: Please stop the flamewar madeness.

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 06:28:07PM -0400, Travis Crump wrote:
> Andrew Suffield wrote:
> >On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 05:20:39PM -0400, Travis Crump wrote:
> >
> >>German quotes 'apology', sponsored Bin-NMUs, debs following Packages
> >>files to mirror, etc.  While they have all remained relatively civil and
> >>constructive, I don't think it is that unreasonable for someone to think
> >>they were flamewars.
> >

> >I find it wholly unreasonable to call a civil discussion a "flamewar",
> >and I also find objecting to regular discussions to be absurd. What
> >would the point be then, "Don't talk about things"?
> >
> >This is not a pissant political arena. We are allowed to talk about
> >subjects where there is a possibility of a person existing somewhere
> >who might disagree with something being said.
> >

> I have nothing against flamewars, have all of them you want, because you
> are right, one man's flamewar is another's rational discussion.  Just
> don't try to pretend that they don't exist.

They exist only in your mind. You sound paranoid-delusional to
me. Strangely enough, around here we *don't* all mindlessly flame each
other all the time. People like that rapidly burn out and go away.

People who spend all their time in hand-wringing about how everybody
is mindlessly flaming each other all the time, unfortunately only burn
out and go away slowly; if we could get rid of these impediments to
useful communication faster then we'd get things done a bit more
smoothly. But they're still self-destructive and go away with time.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |