Re: equinoctial releases

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 01:38:21PM -0600, Thomas E. Vaughan wrote:
> I'm just an ordinary, long-time sid user, not a developer.
> So my opinion counts for squat.  Also, I'm sure that this
> has already been hashed out many times over in lengthy flame
> wars.
>
> Nevertheless, it seems to me that debian should release
> twice a year.

No way. That would be *horrible* for all the serious users. We would
have to support the previous *two* releases, because upgrade ==
downtime and a large corporate environment won't tolerate upgrades
more often than once a year, and would rather have them less frequent
than that.

Supporting two stable releases at once is not feasible. We have enough
trouble with one.

12-18 months is a decent timeframe. Any less is too fast. Anything up
to 24 months is still comfortable. Longer and it starts to get
annoying.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |