Re: ITP: ttf-summersby -- Free OpenType typeface font

"Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar@debian.org> schrieb:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Frank Küster wrote:
>
>> I think it makes a difference for OpenType-using programs whether a font
>> is OpenType, and for a user whether he can find this out from the
>> package name.
>>

> And which programs would those be?

I'm not aware of any currently (but then I'm not a font expert).

> My understanding is that opentype is
> just truetype + extras.

And I bet that there _will_ be programs that make use of the extras.

For example in the TeX community, I heard rumors in that direction - TTF
is hardly accepted there, because of minor quality with respect to
kerning AFAIK, and if somebody says "but there are so many TTF fonts
around" the usual answer is: It isn't worth it, but we should really
support OpenType.

Anyway, if it isn't TeX, it'll be something else. Better give the
package a decent name now, than change the name later when people in
fact start looking for OpenType fonts.

Regards, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie