Re: non free IETF's RFC documents in .orig.tar.gz

Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> schrieb:

> * Graham Wilson (bob@decoy.wox.org) wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 10:44:25PM +1000, Anibal Monsalve Salazar wrote:
>> > I'm going to remove all non free IETF RFC documents from a couple of
>> > packages in main.
>> >
>> > Should the non free IETF RFC documents be removed as well from the
>> > .orig.tar.gz?
>>
>> Yes, you'll want to create a new upstream tarball without the RFC
>> documents.
>
> Which is a terrible practice and shouldn't be done in general.  The
> .orig.tar.gz's really *should* be the same as the upstream tarball.
> Convince upstream to remove them.

I agree, but there may be circumstances where this isn't
feasible. Besides an unwilling upstream, one example is that upstream is
just preparing a new major release, and has essentially stopped
development of the current stable release.

This is the case with teTeX - 3.0 will come out approximately when sarge
is released (i.e. when it's ready ;-)), and there won't be any changes
to the 2.0.2.orig.tar.gz from upstream. This is why we have a 2.0.2b in
unstable, and hopefully in sarge soon.

Regards, Frank

Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie