Re: No libtiff transition for sarge

On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 06:46:09PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:

> [...]
> > [1] OK, you could upload half of GNOME recompiled against an older
> >     libgpg-error0

> Nicely spotted. Seems like libgpg-error0 somehow missed radar, another
> case for tpu, imho.

Why is there a libgpg-error0 package uploaded 5 days ago that has bumped
shlibs when maintainers were specfically told in the release
announcement that the base freeze does NOT mean that unstable is open
for shlibs changes in base/standard?

This looks like a candidate for being reverted immediately, before
packages start getting rebuilt against it.

The following packages will already need to be re-uploaded to remove the
dependency on the incorrect libgpg-error:

gnome-media
gossip
qalculate-gtk
rhythmbox
control-center
epiphany-browser
evolution
gdesklets
gnopernicus
gnotime
gok
libgnome
mlview
nautilus-media
wmbiff
dia
file-roller
gnomeicu
gnubiff
gthumb
libgnomeui
librsvf2
nautilus-cd-burner
quick-lounge-applet
teleport
totem
yelp
zapping
gnome-vfs2

Some of these may qualify for recompile-only NMUs on select
architectures.  (gnome-vfs2 is likely to be one of these, since it was
uploaded 9 days ago.)

> > and other packages recompiled against older versions
> >     of e.g. slang1 to testing-proposed-updates [2], but that definitely
> >     takes more time than dropping the current freeze.

> Remind me to shoot the slang maintainer, nothing in the changelogs for
> 1.4.9dbs-5 and 1.4.9dbs-4 explains why he bumped the shlibs file from
> libslang 1-UTF8 slang1a-utf8 (>> 1.4.6-dbs-2)
> in 1.4.9dbs-3 to
> libslang 1-UTF8 slang1a-utf8 (>> 1.4.9dbs-4)
> in 1.4.9dbs-5.

> The sourcepackage does not explain this either, afaict there was no
> change in the ABI at all.

I think we'll need to get the maintainer's explanation for this change.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer