tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) writes:

> Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
>
>> That would mean patching the kernel and porting the binfmt-elf ia32 to
>> be a binfmt misc extention and only loading that if ia32-libs is
>> installed.
>>
>> No way.
>
> It's rapidly becoming obvious why you folks are not succeeding; you
> can't keep track of your own conversation.
>
> Put a fake loader in place which prints a useful error message.  That
> would be a rather trivial solution--and one I already described.

Still very ugly and needlessly complicating.

The best and easiest solution is to make the lsb package on amd64
Depend on ia32-libs, as said before.

> You know, if you want my support, I've been pretty crystal clear what
> it would take.  What seems clear is that you don't want to hear any

It takes ia32-libs, which we have. Or do you have a case where that is
not enough?

> solutions but what you have already chosen.  While natural and
> understandable, this also leads to the kinds of impasses you have
> found so far.
>
> My advice is to stop GRs and instead try to compromise.
>
> Thomas

The compromise is ia32-libs which seems to fullfill exactly what you
want.

MfG
        Goswin