Re: Description of tasks

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 09:58:10PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:

> >> It's my understanding that you aren't willing to provide the code for
> >> buildd.net so that the same functionality can be incorporated into
> >> buildd.d.o.  If that's the case then it's unfortunate but also shows
> >> that the problems are not just one-sided here.
> > Why? I'm donating a service, not the scripts. I think you should be able
> > to see the difference, although you seem to kindly ignore the fact that
> > buildd.d.o already said it won't include the scripts.
> And what about the Social Contract:
>    2. We Will Give Back to the Free Software Community
>       When we write new components of the Debian system, we will
>       license them as free software. We will make the best system we
>       can, so that free software will be widely distributed and used.

It will surprise you, but I'm neither a DD nor is buildd.net an official
part of Debian. So, what make you believe, you can extend the SC to outside
resources or people?

> Really, you should be willing to share your work freely with others
> with no strings attached.  If you aren't willing to do this, then
> perhaps you should reconsider whether you are really suited to
> participating with the development of free software in general and the
> Debian Project in particular.  We are working together, not against
> each other.

Really? Can you prove this? I'm really not convinced of that after this
thread.

> Please, please, carefully re-read the whole of this tiresome thread
> and notice that you have not presented either yourself or your
> arguments in a good light; likewise for several other people.  While
> I'm sure we would all like amd64 to be in sid and eventually stable,
> how we get there is also as important as the goal itself.  I am
> extremely unhappy about the unpleasantness of many people in this
> thread towards each other, and also to many of the most hardworking

Me too... but ask for the reasons why people get upset and not just the
symptom that they are upset.

> and valuable members of the Project--lets keep the arguments
> technical.  Remember: there are real people with real feelings at the
> other end of an email address, and you would do well to remember that
> for the future.  If the people you criticise so strongly were standing
> next to you, would you say the same things?  (I sincerely hope not!)

I really appreciate that you stand in for a more polite way of interacting
and I hope that you'll jump in as well when f.e. asuffield is being impolite
to others ("you're an idiot, you're a moron, twit,...").

And as someone stated before: realword conversations are always different
and tend to be more polite. But that is valid for both sides. And yes, I
would be criticise the same people in RL as well.

--
Ciao...              //
      Ingo         \X/