Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 02:04:54PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
>> People choose ix86 (or amd64) over PowerPC because
>> a) bang/buck ratio.
>> b) runs windows (games.)
>
> Those are two reasons.
>
> Unfortunately, the current debian amd64 port doesn't look like it supports
> cedega (forinstance).

What is cedega?

> More generally, by not providing 32 bit support, we're reducing the
> bang/buck ratio.

Its provided, just not actively supported. Its not a goal to support
it for pure64, never was and never will be. It just happens to work
surprisingly well none the less.

>> It currently looks like ia32 will be replaced by amd64/ia32e as both
>> AMD64 and intel are changing the products and adding the
>> 64-bit extension does not seem to be very expensive for the CPU
>> manufacturers.
>
> Agreed.  And, Debian's amd64 currently isn't positioned to be useful in
> this sense.

Not if you look at it that way. Its pure64, not ment as extension. The
current debian structure and sources prevent that. That needs
multiarch and a change in _every_ source package building a library.

MfG
        Goswin