Re: "Fastest Linux of the world", hardware detection, X11 config

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 06:00:47PM +0200, Otto Wyss wrote:
> > I just read a news about the fastest Linux of the world
> > ("http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/49086"; in german). I don't want
> > to discuss the "fastest" but the question remains why Debian doesn't
> > have a hardware detection as good as Red Hat or an X11 configuration as
> > good as Suse?
> >

> <flame-mode>

I didn't start this thread to start a flame war. I just wanted to
mentioned the fact that the people of the "fastest" Linux have chosen,
Debian's package system, Red Hat's hardware detection and Suse's X
configuration. I don't know if this holds true, still it might give
hints which parts of Debian aren't as good as the other dists.

As much as I know discover and hotplug do a good job but not as good as
possible. Maybe they just need some more tweeking and effort.

Not related to the article but IMO another deficiency is the framebuffer
(see "http://lists.debian.org/debian-cd/2004/07/msg00039.html";). Debian
installer should discover the framebuffer driver as early as possible
and switch the resolution to accommondate the bigger displays nowadays.
Besides the framebuffer might make choosing the right X configurations
easier.

O. Wyss

--
How to enhance your code, see "http://freshmeat.net/projects/wxguide/";