Re: dehs

Il mar, 2004-07-13 alle 20:08, Robert Lemmen ha scritto:
> hi stefano,
>
> i really like dehs, i think it will become a very valuable tool in the
> future. i have some comments though:
>
> - is the code available anywhere?
Dehs source code is available here:

Browsable: http://svn.debian.org/viewcvs/dehs
Svn: svn://svn.debian.org/dehs/

Any suggestion, bugs, patch, feature request, help could be submitted on
http://alioth.debian.org/projects/dehs/

> - i would ilke to help speed up the adoption of watch files. probably
>   the best would be to create patches and file them in the bts as
>   wishlist. it would be really cool if there was a way to let your
>   system know for which packages such a patch has already been filed.
>   perhaps a convention about the subject line of the bug in combination
>   with a "patch" tag?

Ok, subject+patch tag could be the right convention, if you would submit
a patch about it on alioth you are welcome, if not i will try to hack on
it in the future. It is also important to do a rapid manual check over
Watch Wiz generetad watch file and reuse it for bug submission. Some
automatic testing are done via the modded version of uscan.pl, but a
little bit manual check is needed before submitting is needed (for
example for make a watch file that catch only the stable upstream
releases if they are released on the same directory and with same name
of stable ones).

> - watch files are also usefull for a different purpose: check that what
>   we tell people is the upstream tarball is really the same as the
>   upstream tarball. this is good when arguing over the usefullness of
>   dehs, and should be done by someone. if you don't feel like
>   integrating this into your system, i can do it off-site but it would
>   be cool to have a way to get to the raw data that you collect. perhaps
>   you could just leave a text file with your data somewhere to fetch?
>   (lintian.d.o is doing that too)

In which way do u want to implement this? I prefer that this feature
will be included in dehs instead of an off-site solution.
Although there is also a txt file as datasource for future developer.php
integration on qa.debian.org:
http://dehs.alioth.debian.org/dehs_debianqa.txt.
and other text file:
http://dehs.alioth.debian.org/no_watch.txt
http://dehs.alioth.debian.org/no_upstream.txt
http://dehs.alioth.debian.org/no_updated.txt

> - it would be really cool for outdated debian packages to know when the
>   newer upstream version was first spottet

Dehs run daily and the modified uscan.pl version (originally in
devscripts official debian package) actually catch usptream version and
and url of the upstream package. We would to use the dehs discovering
date or the upstream site ftp file date? I prefer to use dehs
discovering date so we had not problem with http watch file.

P.s. I really hope that some feature of uscan modded version will be
integrared by the devscripts package mantainer in the official version.

Cheers,
Stefano