Re: AMD64 for sarge [Re: <rant> Package: ftpmasters, Severity: serious, ...]

Goswin von Brederlow dijo [Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 06:58:00PM +0200]:
> The size of a sensible distribution should also factor into this (but
> its hard to make rules for that).
>
> What I mean is the following: Once multiarch is added after sarge is
> out ports for s390x, powercp64, sparc64, mips64 and mipsel64 can be
> done as partial ports. Only a small portion of packages (+depends)
> would get ported, those that might require the larger address space
> like postgresql.
>
> Any of those ports could consist of maybe 300 packages only. Its
> unreasonable to port more packages since they would be slower and
> waste resources (ram, disk and mirror space). Forcing an s390x port to
> have >90% ported before inclusion would be insane.

...Although, once again, this is not true of AMD64, as there _is_
point in recompiling everything, as the processor runs better in 64
bit mode than in 32 bit mode. And there is still (news, news!!) a huge
i386 installed user base, so we cannot drop support for it. The only
option, IMHO, is to have both architectures as independent, maybe just
somehow linked in the future... But every package will have to be
compiled for both.

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.cx - (+52-55)5630-9700 ext. 1366