Re: keyboard autodetection

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 10:50, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Simon Richter <sjr@debian.org> writes:
> > hinderance is the fact that I'm not allowed to read data from the
> > keyboard when using DebConf, which is why I have no real idea how to
> > implement it in a compatible way for d-i, short of adding a new template
> > type "single-keycode" (which would probably work on the console, but
> > require additional work if it is supposed to work together with bterm,
> > which the installer currently uses, or X, which the installer might use
> > in the future).
> >
> >    Simon
>
> Good luck with this. I'm sure it would be welcome by many.

Seconded.

If you do embark on it, let me know - the Hardware Freedom Database
(HFDB - web page still to come :) will do all we can to assist in both
collecting and generating the required information, to the extent that
doing so is useful.

(The HFDB is a cross- kernel, os/distro and vendor project to collect
hardware specific information useful to the free software community. We
will generate output formats suitable for Debian and/ or any other
distro, including the BSDs, that desire it/ can make use of it.
Currently early days, refining our schema and looking at how best to
seamlessly work with existing external HW info projects (eg.
pciids.sf.net)).

cheers
zen