Re: standard apt/yum meta-data format

On Monday 05 July 2004 09.20, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 08:27:41AM +0200, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal'
von Bidder wrote:
> > The 'Reading Package Lists...' step takes 22s on the system in
> > question, which I think is awfully slow on a K6-333 with 128M RAM.
> > Of course, it's far from unuseable, but I think when 'grep
> > ^Package: *_Packages' takes only 3s, reading the Package lists in
> > apt and storing them in some index should be doable a bit faster
>
> Why would you think that it should be faster for apt to read and
> parse the Packages files and build a useful data structure out of
> them than for grep to read them and perform a regex match on each
> line?

Badly worded sentence there. I think it should be possible to read the
Packages files faster than the 22s it takes now, which is 10 times the
time grep takes to read the file.

I know apt does more than grep, but that much?

Anyway, not knowing much about apt, and not willing to go into it more
deeply, I shut up now.

cheers
-- vbi

--
Your good nature will bring you unbounded happiness.