Re: An appeal for brevity on the Sarge/SC threads

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 03:16:48PM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:

> > Brevity would be *extremely* useful here.  I quit being able to follow
> > the thread way before it blew up earlier this week.
> If you can't follow the current volume, and are unwilling to give it enough
> time, then don't even try, and just unsubscribe.
> This is not something that can be changed.

I'd say it could very well be damn useful to eventually be able to cope
with this problem differently than "unsubscribe if you can't read mail
for 5 hours a day".  If we accept participation to be impossible (or
very hard) for many, then there is a sound justification for the Debian
Cabal debate to come out from time to time.

Example strategies could be learning how to isolate positions and topics
and split and retitle threads, or having someone ("mailing list
secretaries"?) writing regular summaries of the hottest discussions and
the various views that are expressed in big and important threads.  Or
both.  And maybe something else.  And a BOF on this at Debconf.

Not having a (obvious) solution doesn't mean that we don't have a
problem.

Ciao,

Enrico