On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 03:07:47 +1000, Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> said:

> The Debian system, ie the main section the current stable release,
> is modified by making point releases and major releases. If we want
> to make it comply with the new social contract we need to modify it,
> and the way to do that is by making either a point release or a
> major release -- and functional changes rather than security updates
> are done by making a major update. Changing the Debian system to
> conform with the new social contract immediately isn't possible --
> we're required to distribute a free operating system, so rm -rf
> isn't an option either -- but it's not unreasonable for a change to
> the social contract to take some amount of time to come into
> effect. Certainly, that would've been the case had the non-free vote
> passed.

	This sounds reasonable.

> I don't see any particular problems with taking as long as it takes
> to update the Debian system to conform to the new social contract,
> although obviously I'm disappointed that that looks like taking
> longer than a few weeks.

> OTOH, if uploading packages and making a release isn't something
> that is covered by the social contract, I can't really see how
> anything we do could be. And I'm not willing to accept that as a
> principle.

	I am not sure I am on the same page anymore. Yes, the social
 contract has changed. If we accept that it is going to take time to
 bring everything in line with the new version, and I think it is
 reasonable to do so, I think that life does not stop until we do so.
 We still have people using our software, we continue to provide them
 security uploads, do bug fixes, and heck, even release Sarge, all the
 while working towards making the system conform to the SC.

	In other words, I can see decopling the security upgrades, bug
 fixes, and a long overdue stable release as being good for the users,
 without in any way detracting from the desire and intent of making
 the system conform to the new version of the SC.

	manoj
--
I'm RELIGIOUS!!  I love a man with a HAIRPIECE!!  Equip me with
MISSILES!!