Re: Amendment of Proposal - Deferment of Changes from GR 2004-003

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 04:59:00PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> I feel that the most honest approach is to note in the Social Contract
> itself that we apologize for not living up to those principles just
> yet.

Such an apology is not necessary language for the Social Contract.
Updating the DFSG web page would be sufficient to inform the Debian user
of the current state of the project with respect to the two versions of
the SC we currently use.  This could include your proposed apology.

We would then see something like this on the
http://w.d.o/social_contract page:

 Debian Social Contract

 Debian, the producers of the Debian GNU/Linux system, have created the
 Debian Social Contract. The Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG) part
 of the contract, initially designed as a set of commitments that we
 agree to abide by, has been adopted by the free software community as
 the basis of the Open Source Definition.

 [Insert the proposed apology.]

 [Insert explaination and links to the General Resolution.]

 Version 1.0(link) ratified on July 5, 1997 affects Releases 1.3 to 3.0
 of Debian and the upcoming release 3.1 (codenamed "Sarge").

 Version 1.1(link) ratified on April 26, 2004. Supersedes Version 1.0
 ratified on July 5, 1997 and affects Releases of Debian following the
 upcoming release 3.1 (codenamed "Sarge").

 [Display Version 1.0 in-line]

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/