my Sarge experiences

Hi everybody,

I just installed Sarge using the CD's with the new Debian installer and
I wanted to share the problems i experienced
(I am no linux geek so probably most of them are my fault)

Installer crashes when I try to Install on a harddisk formated with
reiser fs

checking th CDS using the installer doesn't work

Gnome is on the first CD but XFree is not why?

hotplug doesn't work with alsa it always loads the oss driver which
conflicts with the alsa one

couldn't get ipppd working with Kernel 2.6

ppp is installed by default but isdnutils is not why?

ipppd is really difficult to configure

it was unclear whether I should use ipppd or pppdcapiplugin to connect
to the Internet

there is no script in if-up.d/ which automatically updates my
/etc/resolv.conf after I connected to my ISP so i had to create on
manually

If there is no search line in /etc/resolv.conf gnome did not start.I
dont no why. I found the tip searching the internet
(It took me two days figuring out why gnome didnt start)

I post this because i think there are probably other users experiencing
the same problems. Finally I got everything working. Thank you very much
for one of the best Operating Systems

Philipp Strack