On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 02:56:09PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> The Social Contract now states:
>
> ] 1. Debian will remain 100% free
> ]
> ] We provide the guidelines that we use to determine if a work is "free"
> ] in the document entitled "The Debian Free Software Guidelines". We
> ] promise that the Debian system and all its components will be free
> ] according to these guidelines. We will support people who create or
> ] use both free and non-free works on Debian. We will never make the
> ] system require the use of a non-free component.
>
> As this is no longer limited to "software", and as this decision was made
> by developers after and during discussion of how we should consider
> non-software content such as documentation and firmware, I don't believe I
> can justify the policy decisions to exempt documentation, firmware, or
> content any longer, as the Social Contract has been amended to cover all
> these areas.

Um, even before while it was "limited" to "software", those who were of the
opinion that documentation and such things are part of "software" still had
a fairly valid point. The new phrasing, IMO, changes nothing.

On the other hand, it's reasonable to expect that the release manager has a
say (if not the final and overriding say) in determining the interpretation
of ambiguous documents and how they apply to the release process.

Hence, if you wish to make what I feel are non sequitur conclusions with
regards to what the SC says, it's your prerogative, but don't try to blame
it on the developer body (which includes myself).

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.