On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 04:37:36PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> > Don Armstrong wrote:

> > > Trivial refuation: the extant interpreter for (most) data is a human
> > > brain. [And yes, your brain is, for lack of a better word, executing
> > > said data.]
> >
> > The human brain is way too limited for that task. Just explain me
> > how your brain interprets a bitstream which represents a JPEG of
> > non-trivial size. :-)
>
> Not particularly well, but I'd imagine that there are people out there
> who wouldn't have that much trouble with it.

I was obliged to do this as part of a university course. I think I can
still do it for images up to 8x8 pixels in size, at least - that's
good enough to recognise ASCII text. It's actually not all that hard
once you understand how the algorithm works, assuming you've got a
good spatial sense.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |