Florian Weimer wrote:
> Thiemo Seufer <ica2_ts@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de> writes:
>
> >> The basic argument was that we don't have a Popper-like
> >> Abgrenzungskriterium[1], and therefore we must treat Programs and
> >> Data in the same way.  I've worked on an Abgrenzungskriterium from
> >> time to time, but unfortunately without any results so far.
> >
> > Program: Software which is intended for execution on an actually
> > 	existing interpreter.
> >
> > Data: Software which is not ~.
>
> An EPS file is a program and a PNG version of the same image (but with
> less information) is data?

The EPS creates the image bitmap on execution, the PNG is a description
of it. You can, at least in principle, describe an arbitrary algorithm
in EPS, you can't do that in PNG.

> I don't find this very convincing, I'm sorry.

Note that this definition is not necessarily useful for the discussion
of Debian's free software issues. It might have made a difference for
firmware, though.

Thiemo