> Well, now, I'm not entirely convinced of this.  Could a similar argument
> not be used on JPEG's or PNG's?

For JPEGs?  Sure, the argument applies to any lossy compression
format.

In the case of PNG, it depends on the image contents.

> Do we have *some* reasonable way to modify these fonts?  It's been a
> long time, but I did hack on some fonts a long time ago and while it
> wasn't the most fun thing I could have sworn there was a free
> program available to do it..

It depends on the font format.  For METAFONT, you can use VIM or
Emacs, for bitmap fonts you can use some other editor.  But I doubt
that there is anything that supports Type 1 or Truetype fonts,
including hinting and kerning.

--
Current mail filters: many dial-up/DSL/cable modem hosts, and the
following domains: atlas.cz, bigpond.com, di-ve.com, netscape.net,