Re: Debian GNU/Linux Reference Card under construction
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
On Thursday 15 April 2004 12.34, W. Borgert wrote:
> 1. Please look at the card and point out any errors.
- apt-get [dist-]upgrade don't take packages
- apt-cache search pattern
Does your intended audience know what you mean by 'pattern'?
- apt-cache rdepends
Same. I think usual dependencies are sort of intuitive enough to
understand, but I'm not so sure about rdepends.
- Is apt-file installed by default? If not, a pointer to the package to
install would be helpful. (Same for other non-standard commands.)
As for apt-cache rdepends: To understand what an orphan is, a quite
good understanding of package dependencies is needed.
- what's the different between poweroff and halt? They're probably not
- postgresql: point to pg_hba.conf, and perhaps add how to change
password for a user.
- man: '... every command and many configuration files have a manpage.'
- mailing lists: perhaps point directly to the user list?
Layout: Currently, many of the commands are wrapped, which makes them
IMHO hard to read. Instead of
apt-cache policy Show versions and
I'd find it much better if it were
apt-cache policy package-names: Show versions
(Something like an itemized list instead of a table). This would
probably safe some space, too.
Of course, this is entirely a matter of taste.
- -- vbi
Today is Setting Orange, the 32nd day of Discord in the YOLD 3170
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: get my key from http://fortytwo.ch/gpg/92082481
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----