Re: more evil firmwares found

On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 02:40:09PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> After the resolution of #239952 I started looking for other binary
> firmwares distributed by debian. If we follow the same policy the X and
> kernel maintainers will have to remove the 3D drivers for the Matrox and
> ATI Rage 128 and Radeon video cards.
>
> The popular acenic ethernet driver will have to go as well.
>
> See #242865 and #242866 for details.
>
> I hope everybody will enjoy their firmware-clean kernels.

There are many more where those came from, we must cleanse the evil
scourge of non-free firmware from Debian NOW! Otherwise users might be
able to install Debian onto their non-compliant hardware instead of
sticking with the status quo (Windows XP).

Here are a few suspicious looking files in Debian kernel 2.6.4:

drivers/usb/image/hpusbscsi.h
drivers/usb/image/microtek.c
drivers/usb/media/ibmcam.c
drivers/usb/media/pwc_kiara.h
drivers/usb/media/pwc_timon.h
drivers/usb/media/ultracam.c
drivers/usb/media/vicam.c
drivers/usb/misc/emi26_fw.h
drivers/usb/misc/emi62_fw_m.h
drivers/usb/misc/emi62_fw_s.h
drivers/usb/net/kawethfw.h
drivers/usb/serial/io_fw_boot.h
drivers/usb/serial/io_fw_boot2.h
drivers/usb/serial/io_fw_down.h
drivers/usb/serial/io_fw_down2.h
drivers/usb/serial/io_fw_down3.h
drivers/usb/serial/safe_serial.c
drivers/usb/serial/whiteheat_fw.h

Of course there are many more I didn't take the time to document.

Chris Cheney