Re: XFree86 4.3.0 and testing (was: when will the release release)

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 11:12:45AM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> Re-reading the bug log and the thread I still cannot understand why you
> downgraded the bug in the first place.

For context, we're talking about #239991.

I would probably have made the same call, given that lost keystrokes are
not what I consider "data loss", even "non-serious data loss".

I could be convinced otherwise by the bug submitter, but it is true that
the justification for downgrading the bug's severity should have been
explicitly called out.  Particularly since the bug submitter *did* go to
the trouble of using the Justification: header, which I wish more people
would do.

I think the specific point is largely moot, as there's a patch, and the
fix is on the TODO list.

Whether this fix goes into the next release is a decision for the
XFree86 4.3.0-8 release manager to make.  :)

But to summarize: yes, when downgrading the severity of any bug, we
should explain why.  I'll try to do better on this score myself.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Any man who does not realize that
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    he is half an animal is only half a