Re: Accepting .Xdefaults by default

Scripsit Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
> On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 12:26:23AM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:

> > Debian does not use the name .Xdefaults bu default, but instead
> > .Xdefaults-<hostname>. That is presumably intentional.

> It is.  The reason is that because the application-defaults are loaded
> client-side, you may want to customize them on a per-host basis.  You
> already get this with the server-side resources because your X session
> runs out of $HOME.

Not necessarily. In fact I have accounts on three different university
sites where my $HOME is shared between all workstations and xdm
servers in the department. They all load the same .Xresources when I
log in. That would have caused me trouble if I had happened to
physically move between differently-equipped workstations often.

(Of course I know how to solve this by appropriate ad-hoc magic in
.xsession, and splitting .Xresources by hostname would not be a good
solution nevertheless, so I'm not proposing to change the default
behavior of Debian's X packages).

> > If that does not work (and you're sure its not your own fault, or
> > the individual application's), file a bug report against libXt6.

> The package's name is libxt6 (all lowercase), but yes.

Curses, foiled again! I just tried 'dpkg -L libXt6' and it worked.

--
Henning Makholm                         "Al lykken er i ét ord: Overvægtig!"