Re: w3m -> standard, lynx -> optional

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 08:56:58AM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> This is the right decision. (e)links has a lot of misfeatures that
> make it unsuitable as default text based web browser. links cannot do
> http auth, and elinks has the annoying habit of unpacking .tar.gz

Wrong (just tried it now.)

> files on the fly during download (and putting the ungzipped .tar into
> the filesystem as .tar.gz). Additional, elinks has a dependency list

I also tried that and could not duplicate the problem.

> from here to the moon, and is not something one would like to have on
> a lightweight system.

That's not true either.  As the former maintainer of a package that did
have such a list[1], I know it when I see it :-)  Did you realize that
liblua40 is 96KB installed; libgpmg1 is 100KB installed; liblualib40 is
72KB installed; and the other packages are likely to be on the system
already?  (xlibs can be eliminated.)  The extr dependencies, therefore,
total less than 300KB disk usage.  In fact, the installed size of elinks
plus the installed size of those extra deps is less than the installed
size of just the lynx package itself.

I really have no idea what you are trying to say here.

[1] gnucash