links and elinks (Was: Re: w3m -> standard, lynx -> optional)

Steve Kemp <skx@debian.org> said:

> On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 09:41:42PM +0100, Mateusz Papiernik wrote:
>
>> I agree, that lynx is somehow past thing, and is not really friendly to
>> the end-user. But why w3m, and not e.g. links (eLinks acctually)? What
>> really important advantages it has against links? As I noticed, w3m
>> can't render page while downloading, and user must wait to finish, if he
>> wants to see the page.
>
>   Also the upstream author of w3m was very vocal on the idea that w3m is
>  not a browser; but a pager.
>
>   I remember once sending a patch to him to implement a
>  "homepage"/"start page" preference but he dropped it saying that it
>  was designed for reading local files.
>
>   (e)links is a much more capable browser with support for backgrounding
>  and many other tasks.  Apart from the evilness of the name sounding so
>  like lynx it's a much better choice IMHO.

I agree that links is a better choice. However, I think that links is
a way better choice than elinks -- especially since the development
made the last two years.

I admit that's a very personal point of view.

However, I'm a bit annoyed by the fact that the package links in
debian is a package elink, leaving no room for the real links package,
against which I would gladly fill an RFP (yes, I know, there's better
to do than an RFP but that's all I can do about it for now).

Or maybe I missed something?

It would sound more appropriate to me to have a package rightfully
called elinks, with, why not, a Provides: links. Currently it looks
like the fork now owns the original name. slocate, for example, did
not took the name locate, while it could have been (locate is untaken
as package name, as locate is part of findutils).

What others do think about that? Should a bug be filled against links
package to get it renamed elinks, and at the same time sending an RFP
for links?

Regards,

--
Mathieu Roy

  | General Homepage:           http://yeupou.coleumes.org/             |
  | Computing Homepage:         http://alberich.coleumes.org/           |
  | Not a native english speaker:                                       |
  |     http://stock.coleumes.org/doc.php?i=/misc-files/flawed-english  |