Re: Debian Enterprise - a Custom Debian Distribution

David B Harris wrote:

(I don't know if you're subscribed to debian-devel@lists.debian.org, so
I am resending this mail here.

It's best to copy me on things you want me to read. Also note that mail that doesn't have my address in the To: or Cc: field won't go to my main inbox and is usually discarded unread.

Are you still on good terms with some people at HP?

Yes. Has anyone discussed this with Bdale?

I wouldn't mind getting paid well for the work
I do, but that's a rarity. (Why does money always need to get involved?)
I've been successful at

   1. feeding my family
   2. keeping my ethics
   3. working full-time on Free Software and its issues

I wish everyone could be. It's not easy, and the means I have arrived at wouldn't work for very many people.

I admire those who don't have to consider money while fulfilling all three of the above goals.

What I'd really like to see is a company providing input, serving as a
central point for customer contact, and above all, actually
*supporting* the use of the end-product. ie: not being hostile to users
who run it, as is so often the case these days.

Yes, but let me add something. I think we will have failed if there is only one company doing this. No lock-ins, no lack of choices, please. That's one of the things wrong with RH/Fedora.

And I think I have the structure to make this work. I'm writing now, should have something for you later today.

   Thanks

   Bruce