Re: Announcing type-handling

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 11:03:45PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 10:57:42PM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
> > The type-handling package Provides all of them. However, you can't assume
> > type-handling is installed. That's why type-handling provides negated
> > virtual packages (not+i386, etc).
>
> Why's it called "type" handling? What kind of type?
> My English parser can't parse that.

It comes from the DEB_*_GNU_TYPE variables as returned by dpkg-architecture.

_TYPE is the result of concatenating _SYSTEM and _CPU, hence I thought
the "type-" prefix would make sense.

FYI, it was originaly called "arch-handling", but I thought that name could
be too generic.

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T., Ainulindale (Silmarillion)