Re: experimental codename

John Hasler writes:

> gram writes:
>> Every new package, or every new upload?
>
> Perhaps every upload to Unstable should go to Experimental as well unless
> Experimental already has a newer package (or the same one), but uploads to
> Experimental should go to Experimental only.  Nothing would ever move from
> Experimental to any other distribution automatically.

Why have this duplication?  At least for my limited use of the
experimental distribution, apt's normal preference behavior (prefer
unstable over experimental, but don't downgrade an installed package)
is useful and stays out of the way.  At least to me, "unstable" means
a set of generally useful packages and "experimental" means a set of
less stable packages useful if you want to beta-test future releases.

Michael Poole