Re: XFS entering kernel 2.4 tree - Should the installer include support?

Joey Hess wrote:
Gunnar Wolf wrote:

I am writing to -devel and not to -boot as I think this should be
visible for most developers, as it can have a huge impact in our
systems.

I was reading [1] today that XFS is entering the 2.4 kernel tree -
Being we still reasonably far from having Sarge releasable, what would
you think on adding XFS support in our debian-installer? There are not
many relevant (although they might be quite complicated) bugs in
either xfs-progs or kernel-patch-xfs, and they will surely get
attention from upstrean with this announcement...

What do you think about this? I have never used XFS for my machines,
but have heard quite a lot of good comments about it, and would like
to see it available from the official d-i setup.

Once the stock debian kernel has XFS in it, support can trivially be
added to the installer, by providing a udeb in the archive that contains
a mkfs.xfs program that does the usual thing.

FWIW, I would like to see XFS support in the installer.  I always
use XFS on my servers, so whenever I install Debian it is through a
Knoppix chroot.  I would gladly assist any effort to add/test XFS
in the Debian installer.

-Roberto