Re: Debian packages and freedesktop.org (Gnome, KDE, etc) menu entries

Marc Wilson dijo [Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 10:01:39PM -0800]:
> > > Other way around.  You have to pass .desktop files through to the
> > > menu-methods in a fashion that allows them to generate menus digestible to
> > > applications not supporting .desktop files.
> >
> > You seem to have lost the context.
>
> Not at all.  You want to enforce on $RANDOM_UPSTREAM the idea that they
> have to support .desktop files.  That is *not* going to work.  Debian does
> not have that sort of power.

Worse yet - after demanding that, we probably will rewrite their
.desktop files - We will still (I hope) strive to provide menus
consistent with our way of doing things. One of the main roles of the
maintainers of a distribution is to handle interaction between each
individual package and the rest of the collection - this involves
sorting out how menus will be presented.

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.cx - (+52-55)5630-9700 ext. 1366
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23