Re: Integrate Knoppix in Debian (was: Re: Debian Enterprise?)

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003, Henning Makholm wrote:

> > IF YOU WANT A DEBIAN SYSTEM USE THE DEBIAN INSTALLATION SYSTEM.  UNTIL
> > WOODY IT WAS BOOTFLOPPY IT WILL BY DEBIAN-INSTALLER FOR SARGE<FULLSTOP>
>
> So you're saying (nay, shouting) that even contemplating creating
> another way to get the base system installed and configured is somehow
> morally wrong? How do you reach that conclusion?
Nothing.  Just the continousely intents to post off topic in this
thread made me crazy.  I hate it if someone answers questions I did
not asked and tell me afterwards what I should have asked.  Sometimes,
even if very seldomly, I start shouting under this conditions.

Feel free to do anything including keep this subject for a thread which
has nothing to do with the topic of the subject.

> It's not as if installation would be the only task for which Debian
> provided or allowed more than one alternative. How many MTAs do we
> have? How many web browsers?
I will not stop anybody to invent a further installer for Debian.
Instead I should enforce people to invent the fourth wheel because
we had recently a thread about three different installers and we
really need four to get a nice car.  But please mark the discussion
by a sane topic that I will be able to safe my spare time for things
I'm interested in.

> > Anybody who expects to get a Debian system by installing any CD which
> > has not the main description DEBIAN on it is wrong.
>
> Says who?
Me. You just quoted me, remember?

> I cannot see how such a discussion can be a bad thing.
Discussion is great and I would love if it would end in a good
result but please mark the topic like:
  "New generation installer: Live CD approach"
or whatever.

> The participants in this discussion obviously want to provide
> something with goals that are intrinsicallyr incompatible with the
> flexibility that boot-floppies or debian-installer provides. Who are
> you to forbid them discussing that?
Somebody who mostly tries to follow netiquette.  Sorry for that.

Kind regards

            Andreas.