Re: Integrate Knoppix in Debian (was: Re: Debian Enterprise?)

Scripsit Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de>
> On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Philip Charles wrote:

> > My objective is to install a standard Debian system on the target HD and

> IF YOU WANT A DEBIAN SYSTEM USE THE DEBIAN INSTALLATION SYSTEM.  UNTIL
> WOODY IT WAS BOOTFLOPPY IT WILL BY DEBIAN-INSTALLER FOR SARGE<FULLSTOP>

So you're saying (nay, shouting) that even contemplating creating
another way to get the base system installed and configured is somehow
morally wrong? How do you reach that conclusion?

It's not as if installation would be the only task for which Debian
provided or allowed more than one alternative. How many MTAs do we
have? How many web browsers?

> Anybody who expects to get a Debian system by installing any CD which
> has not the main description DEBIAN on it is wrong.

Says who?

> Please don't whine on debian-devel

Who's whining? Some people are discussing calmly and civilly (though,
given the number of mutually different claims that have been made,
sometimes based on assumptions rather than fact) how and if the work
done by Knoppix and its derivates can be used to produce an
alternative method of installing Debian, targeted at the unassuming
(and perhaps not very unix literate) desktop user who does not want to
spend a lot of time installing his system and is willing to pay for it
by having fewer customization options during the installation.

I cannot see how such a discussion can be a bad thing.

> If you have trouble with the way Debian does its installation subscribe
> to the relevant list and fix the problems in the installation system.

The participants in this discussion obviously want to provide
something with goals that are intrinsicallyr incompatible with the
flexibility that boot-floppies or debian-installer provides. Who are
you to forbid them discussing that?

--
Henning Makholm         "Khanivore is climbing out of its life-support pod."