Re: Debian IS for the enterprise (Was: Debian Enterprise?)

On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 19:54, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> Quoting Cameron Patrick <cameron@patrick.wattle.id.au>:
>
> > On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:00:20PM +0100, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> >
> > | So when talking 'crud' and 'crap' here, I mean 'everything that is not
> > | needed/wanted on a server'. Example on that is anything that uses a GUI
> > | (ie, X11 stuff such as window managers, games), the lg-* (The Linux
> > | Gazette) packages etc, etc... The list could be long...
> >
> > Now that is just rubbish!  To start with, Debian aims to be useful on
> > more than just servers.
>
> Does it? Than that is wrong in my opinion. We don't need an additional
> 'distribution that fits everything'. We need a (GOOD!) _server_ distribution.
>
> And I always thought Debian GNU/Linux was that distribution...

And the next guy 'always thought Debian was "just the distro"' for him,
for [insert task here, eg. sgml/ xml documentation, multimedia, their
children (debian-jr), etc].

Having your cake and eating it, in software, are not mutually exclusive
I think. Althought in Debian's case the cake we have might be 10K apps
in unstable, and eating it our stable distro, stable now for 2 years :)

By the sound of it, you might be motivated to focus your DD energies
into a debian-enterprise or some such sub project?

> Oki, fine. In any case, we need to rethink our 'target audience' and make
> sure that audience get the BEST of the best...

I think again this is ideally dealt with by debian sub-projects. I'm
personally in the planning stage for debian-enterprise sub-project.
And your point here is critical, I think, to actually be long-lived
and successful as a sub project, the target audience (for the sub
project) must be defined.

I need to spend time brain dumping notes and organising before I'd
personally start a new thread on the topic, but of course if you are
personally motivated enough to get going right away...

Perhaps the most important issue for "enterprise" is releases - can sub
projects release on independant schedule to Debian?

I think as the new debian-installer has settled down, this type of issue
might just kind of disappear altogether.

cheers
zen

--
Phone: +61 (0)412 166 990