Re: Debian IS for the enterprise (Was: Debian Enterprise?)

Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> writes:

> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Marc Haber wrote:
>
> > It is, IMO, however, a good idea to split the distribution into
> > sub-projects that release independently. We have long ago grown beyond
> > manageable size.
> I'm not convinced that sub-projects will be able to release independently.
> A release is a big effort.  IMHO sub-projects serve for the purpose to
> concentrate the focus on relevant bits for the intended purpose among the
> huge mass of packages.
>
> On the other hand a sub-project centrix Knoppix is always a good idea
> if it would be easy to create such a beast without any effort.
>
> Kind regards
>
>           Andreas.

Independant subprojects would mean that every combination of versions
has to be tested, e.g. stable base + unstable gnome + testing kde.

The number of tests and versions grows exponentially with the number
of subprojects and some archs are busy keeping up-to-date already with
just one version.

The problem is that version depends/conflicts prevent independance.

MfG
        Goswin